P6-3. 3D Printing for Advanced Manufacturing in the Creative Industries
Project leader: Dietmar Hutmacher (QUT)
Industry partner: Cinenic
- 3D printing is embraced by many artists to express their creativity.
- The movie industry is utilising 3D printing to manufacture movie props and scenic elements.
- For SME design departments it is crucial that the printing process becomes faster and more versatile.
Alignment within M3D Innovation:
- Multiscale manufacturing and 3D printing.
- Overlap with 3D printing for outreach project and multiscale manufacturing project P2-2.
- Evaluation of current needs of prop making using 3D printing.
- Evaluation of current 3D printers – on the market and inhouse built in terms of quality, print speed and versatility (e.g. different materials).
- Together with the industry partner Cinenic and with the QUT Creative Labs we will be working on the development and manufacturing of a new printer and associated production pipeline.
- Improvement of current 3D printers in terms of speed.
- Implementing different materials in the 3D printing process.
- Development of the next generation low-cost, multi-scale,
multi-material 3D printer.
- Production pipeline methods: design process and software.